Dominican Convent, the first school to be established in Bulawayo in 1895 was set up by the Dominican Sisters. Its name derives from St. Dominic who founded the Order of Preachers (OP) and established the first Dominican Convent at Prouille in France in 1206. The objective was to provide Primary and Secondary education for settlers who had established themselves in Bulawayo. On 28 October 1895 Sisters Sebastian Hill and Pancratius Webster opened the first School in a wood and iron Chapel rented from the Jesuit Fathers.0n the first day 10 little pupils attended school. By January 1896 enrolment had gone up to 70. Construction of the first buildings commenced in November 1897 when the foundation stone of the present Convent and school was laid by Mrs. Arthur Lawley, wife of the then Administrator. As enrolment figures continued to increase a second storey was added for boarders. In 1930, a separate block of eight classrooms was erected followed in 1938 by the construction of rooms for Domestic Science, Needlework, Music and a spacious hall. Up until 1958 the school catered for Primary and Kindergarten pupils. By then the need for a senior school had become apparent, therefore construction of the High School classrooms, swimming pool, Hockey field and tennis courts commenced on 1 November 1958 and opened its doors in 1959. In 1960 the new Senior Block was blessed by His Lordship, Bishop A Schmitt.
The site of the High School was once occupied by a little cottage called “Mount Pleasant” which served as a nursery and a few rooms which were used for Commercial classes. On January 7 1960 through the greatest kindness of Dr. V.E Haas a few hundred desks were transported to the new school. In addition to the classrooms, the landing Library and High school Hall were completed during the first term and finishing touches were added at the beginning of the second term 1960. In order to enhance safety and security the City Council was petitioned to have Lobengula Street closed between Ninth and Tenth Avenues. This petition was only granted in 2006.
In 1968 the old South wing was demolished and in its place a hostel was built for 80 boarders. However in 1986 the school became a day school and the hostel was renovated to become a Convent for the sisters. Until 1970 the school catered for white students only but 1971 saw the enrolment of the first black students. The school remains a multiracial institution to this day.
Our Current enrolment stands at 510 students and 43 teachers. The school has matured over the years to become one of the finest and leading educational Institutions in Zimbabwe.
Headmistresses since Establishment of the School
1895-1903 Sr. Sebastian Hill
1904-1908 Sr. Aloysia Web
1909-1911 Sr. Bertrada Fischhaber
1912-1918 Sr. Philomena Cody
1919-1922 Sr. Bertranda Fischhaber
1923-1937 Sr. Consilia Weber
1938-1948 Sr. Georgina Wilkinson
1949-1950 Sr. Aquina Schweiger
1950-1952 Sr. Rose Costello
1953-(died in office) Sr. Aquina Schweiger
1953-1957 Sr. Heriberta Zchetmeir
1958-1962 Sr. Laetitia Feistl
1963-1970 Sr. Gilberta Schneider
1971-1972 Sr. Igna Powell
1973-1979 Sr. Catherine Jackson
1980-1986 Sr. Denys Weindel
1987-2005 Sr. Angela Hoerner
2006-2009 Sr. Veronica Traquino
2009- 2013 Mrs. Matilda Mathe (Acting Head)
2014 Sr. Rudo S Matsika
The star in the Convent badge typifies the star seen in a dream by Jane of Aza, mother of Dominic, later sainted, and is taken as a sign of the future brilliance of the Convent.
Our vision remains the heart and drive of everything we do, and that is to strive to guide our pupils towards the pursuit of Truth and the development of Christian values and principles. This enables us to lay a solid foundation towards a healthy development of the whole person as well as foster the creation of an atmosphere conducive to teaching and learning.