Our History & Values
Dominican Convent, the first school to be established in Bulawayo in 1895 was set up by the Dominican Sisters. Its name derives from St. Dominic who founded the Order of Preachers (OP) and established the first Dominican Convent at Prouille in France in 1206. The objective was to provide Primary and Secondary education for settlers who had established themselves in Bulawayo. On 28 October 1895 Sisters Sebastian Hill and Pancratius Webster opened the first School in a wood and iron Chapel rented from the Jesuit Fathers.0n the first day 10 little pupils attended school. By January 1896 enrolment had gone up to 70. Construction of the first buildings commenced in November 1897 when the foundation stone of the present Convent and school was laid by Mrs. Arthur Lawley, wife of the then Administrator. As enrolment figures continued to increase a second storey was added for boarders. In 1930, a separate block of eight classrooms was erected followed in 1938 by the construction of rooms for Domestic Science, Needlework, Music and a spacious hall. Up until 1958 the school catered for Primary and Kindergarten pupils. By then the need for a senior school had become apparent, therefore construction of the High School classrooms, swimming pool, Hockey field and tennis courts commenced on 1 November 1958 and opened its doors in 1959. In 1960 the new Senior Block was blessed by His Lordship, Bishop A Schmitt.
The site of the High School was once occupied by a little cottage called "Mount Pleasant" which served as a nursery and a few rooms which were used for Commercial classes. On January 7 1960 through the greatest kindness of Dr. V.E Haas a few hundred desks were transported to the new school. In addition to the classrooms, the landing Library and High school Hall were completed during the first term and finishing touches were added at the beginning of the second term 1960. In order to enhance safety and security the City Council was petitioned to have Lobengula Street closed between Ninth and Tenth Avenues. This petition was only granted in 2006.
In 1968 the old South wing was demolished and in its place a hostel was built for 80 boarders. However in 1986 the school became a day school and the hostel was renovated to become a Convent for the sisters. Until 1970 the school catered for white students only but 1971 saw the enrolment of the first black students. The school remains a multiracial institution to this day.
Our Current enrolment stands at 510 students and 43 teachers. The school has matured over the years to become one of the finest and leading educational Institutions in Zimbabwe.
Openness of knowledge skills & experience
- We the Dominican Convent School, strive to guide our pupils towards the pursuit of Truth and the development of Christian values and principles laying the foundation towards the healthy development of the whole person.
- We strive to help our pupils foster Love, Respect and Compassion in their inter-personal relationships and to develop Self-confidence and Self-discipline, Co-responsibility and Tolerance.
- We foster Team Spirit, good Sportsmanship and Co-operation in the classroom, on the sports field and in daily living.
- We endeavor to develop a love and enthusiasm on Learning and Discovery in a friendly, positive learning environment.
- We will guide our pupils towards an awareness of the need to care for and to respect and preserve the environment and natural resources.
- We encourage pride and self esteem in each girl's innate femininity and her future responsibility as a woman, wife and mother.
- We will do this in an awareness that parents and we the staff, are co-workers in a God-given task to whom we are lastly responsible.